Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole is a classic and comforting dish that’s perfect for family dinners and potlucks. It’s a pasta casserole that combines tender chicken, creamy mushroom sauce, and parmesan cheese, all baked to golden perfection. This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a great option for busy weeknights.
To make this Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole, you’ll need a few simple ingredients. You’ll start by sautéing onion, celery, garlic, and sliced mushrooms in butter and olive oil. Then, you’ll add dry sherry, flour, and low-sodium chicken stock to make a creamy sauce. To make the sauce extra rich, you’ll stir in shredded parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Finally, you’ll add diced chicken and cooked pasta to the sauce, mix well, and transfer to a large casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with more parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, and bake in the oven until bubbly and warm throughout.
One of the great things about this Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole recipe is that it’s very versatile. You can use any pasta you like, such as spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine. You can also use any type of cooked chicken, such as leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken breasts. If you want to make the casserole vegetarian, you can omit the chicken and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. You can even add some extra vegetables, such as peas or chopped bell peppers, to the casserole for added flavor and nutrition.
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1 hour
oven temperature 350°F
SERVINGS: 6 SERVINGS
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 large celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 packages, 8 oz each sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
1 tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
1 cup dry sherry
⅔ cup flour
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 cups shredded fresh parmesan cheese, divided in half
8 oz block-style cream cheese
4 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced into cubes
1-1½ lbs pasta of choice, prepare according to package instructions
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large stockpot, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter over medium heat, add onions and celery sauté until translucent. Add garlic, sauté for a few minutes until soft, making sure the garlic does not burn. Add sliced mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms have softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sherry, cook until reduced by half. Add flour, stir and cook for one to two minutes, the mixture will be thick. Whisk in chicken stock, stirring until stock comes to a boil and flour has been incorporated. Reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, stir in 1 cup of parmesan cheese and cream cheese, continue to stir until cream cheese melts.
- Add prepared chicken and pasta to the sauce, mix well. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large casserole dish, sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly and warm throughout. Enjoy!
This Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole recipe is also very easy to customize to your liking. If you prefer a spicier dish, you can add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the sauce. If you want a more garlicky flavor, you can add more minced garlic to the sautéed vegetables. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella, to give the casserole a different flavor.
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole is a delicious and satisfying dish that’s perfect for any occasion. It’s easy to make, versatile, and can be customized to your liking. Whether you’re cooking for your family or hosting a potluck, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So why not give it a try and enjoy a comforting and delicious meal tonight?