Quick Chicken Enchiladas
When it comes to comfort food, there are few dishes that can rival the savory satisfaction of a plate of good cheesy chicken enchiladas. These Tex-Mex delights offer the perfect combination of tender chicken, flavorful spices, and gooey cheese, all wrapped up in a soft tortilla and smothered in a zesty enchilada sauce. While traditional recipes may seem time-consuming and labor-intensive, these are truly simple! You can enjoy the delectable taste of chicken enchiladas without the hassle with this easy recipe.
The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity. No need for complicated steps or exotic ingredients. You can whip up a batch of chicken enchiladas for a cozy weeknight dinner or a casual gathering with friends without breaking a sweat.
One of the great things about chicken enchiladas is their versatility. You can customize them to your liking. Want to make them a bit healthier? Load up on veggies like bell peppers, onions, and spinach. Craving a bit of heat? Add some jalapeños or hot sauce to your filling. The possibilities are endless.
Quick Chicken Enchiladas
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES
OVEN TEMPERATURE: 375°F
SERVINGS: 4-6 SERVINGS
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken works well)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper, red, orange, or green
1 cup corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned (optional)
1 (10 oz) can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, (with liquid)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups green or red enchilada sauce, or your favorite salsa, (store-bought saves on time)
8-10 small flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for topping (use more if you'd like)
Chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, and sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Prepare the filling
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and bell peppers. Sauté until they become tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, corn (if using), diced tomatoes with green chilies (with their liquid), chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the mixture for another 2-3 minutes until everything is heated through and well combined. Remove from heat.
Preheat the oven
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Assemble the enchiladas
- Warm the small flour tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave or on a dry skillet to make them pliable.
- Spoon a generous portion of the chicken filling onto each tortilla.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the filling.
- Roll up the tortillas and place them seam-side down in a baking dish. Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas.
Add the enchilada sauce
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the rolled tortillas. Ensure they are all coated with the sauce.
Top with cheese
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of the enchiladas.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil (spray underside with non-stick cooking spray) and place it in the preheated oven.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the enchiladas are heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Garnish and serve
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Serve your delicious chicken enchiladas hot and enjoy!
These enchiladas also make for an excellent make-ahead meal. You can prepare them in advance and refrigerate them (just remember to save the enchilada sauce and additional cheese topping) until it’s time to bake. Whether you’re meal prepping for the week or planning a special dinner, having a batch of enchiladas ready to go is a smart and delicious choice.
We all crave comfort food from time to time, and cheesy chicken enchiladas are a perfect choice. Whether you’ve had a long day, are celebrating a special occasion, or simply yearning for something soul-warming, these enchiladas hit the mark.
Easy chicken enchiladas are a delightful Tex-Mex dish that’s easy to prepare and endlessly customizable. They provide a burst of flavor that will surely delight your palate, making them the perfect go-to when you need some comfort. Give them a try, and you’ll discover a new favorite recipe for those cozy dinner nights. Enjoy the warmth and satisfaction of this classic dish without the hassle, and savor the joy of a truly delicious meal. Enjoy!