Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies are a timeless classic, and there’s something undeniably comforting about the rich, nutty aroma that wafts through your kitchen as they bake. These old-fashioned classic peanut butter cookies are a true taste of nostalgia, and making them from scratch is simpler than you might think. So, gather your ingredients, we’ve got an old-fashioned peanut butter cookie recipe that will transport you back to the good old days.
Peanut Butter Cookies
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
CHILL Time: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
OVEN TEMPERATURE: 350°F
SERVINGS: 2 dozen
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup creamy or extra-crunchy peanut butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Additional granulated sugar for rolling, (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft cookie dough forms. Be careful not to overmix; just mix until the flour is fully incorporated.
- If desired, you can chill the dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to make it easier to handle, but this step is optional.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls (you can make them larger or smaller if you prefer) and place them on the prepared baking sheets. If you want, you can roll each ball in granulated sugar before placing it on the baking sheet, which will give the cookies a slightly crunchy exterior.
- Use a fork to flatten each cookie, creating a crisscross pattern on the top. You can dip the fork in a little extra granulated sugar or flour to prevent sticking if needed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. The cookies may appear slightly undercooked in the center, but they will firm up as they cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!
With each bite of these Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies, you’ll be transported back to cherished childhood memories and simpler times. The unmistakable taste of peanut butter combined with the classic crisscross pattern makes these cookies a heartwarming treat for all ages. Whether you’re baking them for a special occasion or simply as a sweet indulgence, these cookies are bound to bring smiles and warmth to your kitchen. Enjoy!